Top Tips to Make the Most of Your Home Care Package
Significant changes to Government funded Home Care Packages were introduced in February this year, to enable Australian Seniors to stay independently and comfortably in their own homes for longer.
However, months after the reforms were introduced, many seniors are still confused and unclear on many aspects of how to apply for and access the packages. “Questions around eligibility and the assessment process are the two most common issues around the new Aged Care reforms,” said Colleen Johnston, STAR Care Coordinator.
Based on the feedback from the community and clients, we have compiled a list of top tips to help you make the most of your Home Care Package.
- Understand the My Aged Care assessment process. The first step is to contact My Aged Care through www.myagedcare.gov.au or by calling 1800 200 422 to check if you are eligible for a Home Care Package. A member of the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) will contact you to discuss your medical condition and needs. Following an in-home assessment, you will receive a letter of approval to let you know whether you are eligible and approved to receive a Home Care Package and at what level. It is important to know that after the assessment, you will be placed in a national priority queue. Your place in the queue will be based on your needs and circumstances.
- Research an Aged Care Service provider. While waiting in the queue, you may use your time to research a suitable provider for your home care package. Some important factors to consider in selecting the right provider of your Home Care Package.
- Does it have experience in providing Aged Care Service?
- What are the additional support and services it offers, to help you manage your care needs?
- What are the fees and charges? Ask about any hidden and excessive fees.
- Get in the driver’s seat. When you reach the top of the queue, you will receive a letter with details of your home care package. Get in contact your selected provider and develop a package with them to include all the services that you need- to stay in your own home, independently, safely and comfortably. Consumer Directed Care allows you to be in control of your funds, select the services you want, and choose who delivers them, and where. Your selected provider must work with YOU to develop your care plan and personal budget. Once you are happy you can enter into an agreement to start receiving your services.
STAR Community Services is proud to offer Aged care services to our community's seniors for over 20 years. If you have any questions or concerns about your new or existing Home Care Package, you and your family, are welcome to attend one of our monthly Information Sessions on the third Monday of each month.
STAR Care Coordinator will answer your queries, simplify the jargon and point you in the right direction. Simply call STAR on 3821 6699 to book your spot.
Our STAR Care Coordinator is your single point of contact. We not only work with you to design your own package but also help you review it often and thoroughly to help you stay on top of your budget and service requirements.
We disclose all our fees and charges up front.
Helping you stay in your own home- independently and safely is our top priority. Call STAR on 3821 6699 or visit www.starcommunityservices.org.au to get started with your Home Care Package.