How can I volunteer?
If you wish to become a volunteer, simply complete our online registration form.
If you have already completed the registration form but need to update your details, please click here to sign in.
After you have completed the online registration form, feel free to check out our current Volunteer jobs list. If you find something of interest, simply follow the instructions to apply.
Volunteering is meaningful, and positively impacts on our community. Did you know that it can have many benefits for you too? Here are just some reasons to volunteer:
- meet new friends and like-minded people
- keep your skills current
- give back to the community
- improve interpersonal communications
- build professional and social contacts
- develop new skills or improve on existing skills
- join a fun and flexible work environment
- build your own self-confidence
- it's great to have on your resume
- send a signal to your employer, teachers, friends and family that you care about our community
Definition of formal volunteering
Formal volunteering is an activity which takes place in not-for-profit organisations or projects and is undertaken:
- to be of benefit to the community and the volunteer;
- of the volunteer's own free will and without coercion;
- for no financial payment; and
- in designated volunteer positions only.
Principles of volunteering
- Volunteering benefits the community and the volunteer.
- Volunteer work is unpaid.
- Volunteering is always a matter of choice.
- Volunteering is not compulsorily undertaken to receive pensions or government allowances.
- Volunteering is a legitimate way in which citizens can participate in the activities of their community.
- Volunteering is a vehicle for individuals or groups to address human, environmental and social needs.
- Volunteering is an activity performed in the not for profit sector only.
- Volunteering is not a substitute for paid work.
- Volunteers do not replace paid workers nor constitute a threat to the job security of paid workers.
- Volunteering respects the rights, dignity and culture of others.
- Volunteering promotes human rights and equality.