Become a Volunteer Driver or Volunteer Owner-Driver
STAR is looking for new drivers to join our Transport Team to assist with the growing demand for affordable client transport services.
Volunteer Drivers and Volunteer Owner-Drivers assist STAR in providing convenient and affordable door-to-door transport services within our community - to our elderly, frail, and to people with a disability.
STAR's Transport service helps people to attend medical and social appointments, and live independently.
STAR provides full training and induction to all drivers to ensure that our clients receive the highest possible level of safety and service at all times.
- Volunteer Drivers use STAR's Fleet vehicles and receive reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses - $15 for ½ day (4 hours) or $30 or a full day (between 7-8 hrs) (non-taxable). Currently, volunteer drivers are needed in the Redlands and Ipswich areas.
- Volunteer Owner-Drivers use their own vehicle and are reimbursed the standard ATO rate of 85 cents per km (non-taxable). Volunteer owner-drivers are needed in Redlands, South Brisbane, Logan, Gold Coast, Ipswich, Lockyer Valley, Toowoomba, and Warwick. Below are the requirements for all owner-drivers:
- vehicles must be under 10 years of age and suitable for the loading and unloading of seniors and people with mobility issues e.g. some large 4WDs may not be appropriate.
- must have comprehensive and compulsory third-party insurance applicable to the class of vehicle.
- vehicles must undergo services every 6 months (and provide proof of same)
- the vehicle must be registered and insured in your name
You can volunteer for a few hours, a half-day, or a whole day. This is a Centrelink approved activity.
While providing transport services, all drivers must:
- hold an open Driver's license
- comply with all provisions of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 of Queensland.
- have a 0.00% blood alcohol level while operating the vehicle.
- comply with all relevant organisational policies and procedures.
- be able to use a smart tablet for navigation purposes (Google Maps)
- be willing to undergo training
- have current flu vaccination
- undertake an NDIS Workers' Screening Check (previously a Yellow Card), which includes a National Police Check.
- have or obtain current First Aid & CPR Certificates
- there is no cost to volunteers for the First Aid & CPR training or the NDIS Workers Screening Check
Please note we aim to recruit volunteers who are able to make a commitment to the organisation of 3-6 months. STAR will provide full training and support, flexibility and a friendly supportive environment.