Become a Volunteer Driver or Volunteer Owner-Driver
STAR is looking for new Volunteer Drivers and Volunteer Owner Drivers to join our Transport Team and support the vulnerable members of our community.
Volunteer Drivers and Volunteer Owner-Drivers assist STAR in providing convenient and affordable door-to-door transport services to our elderly, frail, and people with a disability.
Get to know more about the role. Watch this short video about one of our Volunteer Owner-drivers Di Thompson.
STAR provides full training and induction to all drivers to ensure that our clients receive the highest possible level of safety and service at all times.
- Volunteer Drivers use STAR's Fleet vehicles and receive reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses - $15 for ½ day (4 hours) or $30 or a full day (between 7-8 hrs) (non-taxable). Currently, volunteer drivers are needed in the Redlands and Ipswich areas.
- Volunteer Owner-Drivers use their own vehicle and are reimbursed the standard ATO rate of 85 cents per km (non-taxable). Volunteer owner-drivers are needed in Redlands, South Brisbane, Logan, Gold Coast, Ipswich, Lockyer Valley, Toowoomba, and Warwick. Below are the requirements for all owner-drivers:
- vehicles must be under 10 years of age and suitable for the loading and unloading of seniors and people with mobility issues e.g. some large 4WDs may not be appropriate.
- must have comprehensive and compulsory third-party insurance applicable to the class of vehicle.
- vehicles must undergo services every 6 months (and provide proof of same)
- the vehicle must be registered and insured in your name
You can volunteer for a few hours, a half-day, or a whole day.
This is a Centrelink approved activity.
While providing transport services, all drivers must:
- hold an open Driver's license
- comply with all provisions of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 of Queensland.
- have a 0.00% blood alcohol level while operating the vehicle.
- comply with all relevant organisational policies and procedures.
- be able to use a smart tablet for navigation purposes (Google Maps)
- be willing to undergo training
- have current flu vaccination
- undertake an NDIS Workers' Screening Check (previously a Yellow Card), which includes a National Police Check.
- have or obtain current First Aid & CPR Certificates
- there is no cost to volunteers for the First Aid & CPR training or the NDIS Workers Screening Check
Please note we aim to recruit volunteers who are able to make a commitment to the organisation of 3-6 months. STAR will provide full training and support, flexibility and a friendly supportive environment.