Volunteer Hosts for STAR's Lunch Club, Easy Shopper Bus and Charter Trips
STAR is looking for volunteers to join their lovely team of Social Club Hosts in the Redlands and Ipswich. The Volunteer Social Club Hosts host regular social activities for seniors, in the Redlands and Ipswich, which provide opportunities to seniors to be out and about and to spend time with and meet new people.
The Volunteer Social Club Hosts provide support for STAR's weekly social programs: Lunch Club, Easy Shopper and fortnightly Charters. Our Social Club Hosts ideally are able to be flexible, and when needed, be able to float from one program to another to cover each other occasionally.
The Lunch Club provides an opportunity for seniors to catch up regularly in a local club, restaurant or cafe for a meal.
- Redlands: every Wednesday
- Ipswich: every Tuesday
Volunteers attend and host the lunch, which includes assisting clients with ordering, facilitating introductions and conversations and ensuring everyone has a lovely outing.
Lunch Club Hosting is about 3-4 hours per lunch.
Easy Shopper Volunteer Escort
The Easy Shopper Bus operates in Redlands every Tuesday and Thursday.
The Easy Shopper Volunteer Escort tasks include:
- meeting and greeting clients at their door and escorting them on to the bus
- assisting clients with carrying their shopping bags
- stowing walkers and trolleys safely on the bus
- ensuring clients are wearing seat belts
- assisting clients (and their shopping) from the bus back to their front door
STAR arranges fortnightly charter trips:
- every 2nd Monday in the Redlands
- every 2nd Thursday in Ipswich
The Charter Trips are day trips which include a bus trip to local areas of interest, with stops for morning tea and lunch.
Volunteer Host responsibilities include:
- be able to get yourself to and from dining venues and charter departure points
- meet and greet clients at the designated venue/departure point for the bus
- ensure all attendees are present for both (and aboard after each stop throughout the charter)
- provide a brief overview of the day's charter to clients and answer enquiries
- assist with ushering clients to and from venues, assisting with orders for morning tea and lunch orders when needed
- assisting in the smooth running of the day
- encourage social interactions via ice breakers and social activities
- be available for the activity/ies timeframes as above and be able to be flexible from time to time when back up is needed
Successful applicants will have the following attributes:
- trust worthy, reliable, caring and compassionate
- have patience and a sense of humour
- have a warm, friendly and social demeanour
- genuinely interested in helping people
- able to recognise and respect the dignity, privacy, spiritual and cultural needs of clients
Successful applicants require:
- a current Driver's Licence and vehicle / or be able to get yourself to and from lunch venues/charter departure points
- current Flu vaccination (and be able to provide evidence of same)
- a National Police Check
- a NDIS Workers' Screening Check
- current First Aid and CPR training
STAR Community Services will assist successful applicants with the above checks and First Aid training. We will also train volunteers for the 3 programs so everyone is familiar with how they operate. Volunteers will need to have at least one half day free a week (or full day for charters).
STAR believes volunteering shouldn't leave you out of pocket. STAR reimburses volunteers for daily out-of-pocket expenses - $15 for ½ day (4 hours) or $30 or a full day (between 7-8 hrs). This is a non-taxable reimbursement.
Please note we aim to recruit volunteers who are able to make a commitment to the organisation of at least 3-6 months. In return STAR will provide training and support, flexibility and a friendly supportive environment. Volunteers also enjoy a free meal when hosting.
Does this sound like you? Please complete our online registration form and email Volunteering Redlands with your resume or brief outline of your work/life experience, plus contact details for two referees.
*Centrelink approved activity.